Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Walking in the footsteps of Hunter S. Thompson

Most people have probably heard of Hunter S. Thompson's "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," and I bet that each and everyone who have seen/read it have had a strong opinion on either the film/novel or its creator. I also believe that no matter what your opinion might be of Hunter S. Thompson; at least we can agree that he and his works are captivating and that they can create interesting discussions. Note how I refer to him in present tense even though he has sadly passed, I do so because I believe that his work is always current and I think that it will continue that way for a long time, which is a true mark of a great writer.
   "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" might be his most famous novel. However, "The Rum Diary" has recently been seen in cinemas, I did not see it myself but I did read the novel, which was actually written in the 60's long before "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," and even though they are quite different pieces of works they share that very special style of the author, and it is that style of writing I am currently interested in.
   I believe it's commonly known that each and every author/journalist/writer have their own unique style, and as an aspiring writer myself  I am hoping to find my own unique style of writing, and I can't think of a better way to do so than by reading the works of several different authors each with their own sense of style. Therefore, I went out the other day and bought a copy of Hunter S. Thompson's "Fear and loathing on the campaign trail '72" where Thompson tells the story of when he followed George McGovern and Richard Nixon's campaigns for the presidency of the United States from New Hampshire to Florida. I've not just started the read but by the sound of it; it should prove to be a quite enjoyable and informative read; in any case my quest to become a better writer goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment